Impressed by the Japanese miso eggplant, this wholesome and scrumptious recipe options smooth, creamy oven-roasted eggplant topped with umami-rich tomato miso sauce. SOOO good, it’s like a flavour explosion in your mouth. This eggplant recipe is vegan, vegetarian, gluten-free and low-carb pleasant.
WHAT IS MISO EGGPLANT?
Miso eggplant, also called Nasu Dengaku, is a traditional Japanese facet dish made with eggplant (aubergine) sliced in half, grilled or baked and brushed with a candy and savoury miso glaze. It’s a dream dish for any eggplant lover and might be served as a facet or a important with rice, quinoa or noodles.
My model options roasted eggplant with a barely totally different sauce made with white or gentle brown miso, tomato paste, onion and garlic. The eggplant is properly caramelised and golden brown with creamy flesh and the sauce is sort of a flavourful condiment that actually brings out the style of the vegetable.
It’s a plant-based, vegan recipe that can also be gluten-free and low-carb (plenty of fibre, so internet carbs are low). I normally serve it with common rice or quinoa or cauliflower rice if I’m consuming low-carb.
WHAT YOU NEED FOR TOMATO MISO EGGPLANT
For 4 servings or 8 respectable items, you’ll need two giant eggplants minimize into quarters. I prefer to roast it for about half-hour till golden brown and smooth within the center however you may as well slice it or cube it and grill/pan-fry in a little bit oil.
TOMATO MISO SAUCE
The sauce is made with sauteed, smooth onions, garlic, tomato paste and miso paste, plus some water. You possibly can add a splash of soy sauce or Tamari sauce or a little bit salt for further seasoning. I additionally add a pinch of chilli flakes or powder.
Attempt to get freshly fermented miso from the refrigerated part of a well being meals retailer or grocery store as it will likely be unsaturated and beaming with good micro organism (probiotics). You need to use white or gentle brown miso or a mix. Should you solely have darkish miso, that’s tremendous as effectively however the flavour will likely be a little bit extra intense. Should you can’t discover contemporary miso, the paste from the packets will do the trick. Learn my article on sorts of miso and well being advantages right here.
This dish might be made forward of time. Retailer the pre-cooked eggplant and the sauce individually within the fridge and reheat simply earlier than serving. The sauce will freeze effectively, not a lot for the eggplant.
TURN IT INTO A DIP or unfold
One other cool thought is to puree the eggplant and blend it with the tomato miso sauce for a Japanese babagnush, eggplant dip creation. Serve with seaweed crackers or sesame crackers or unfold on toasted sourdough with avocado for a scrumptious plant-based breakfast or lunch.&
MORE EGGPLANT RECIPES
Roasted eggplant with tomato miso sauce is wealthy in umami flavour, barely salty and candy with only a contact of acidity. It’s my tackle the traditional miso eggplant dish and excellent as a facet dish or a important with rice or quinoa. It’s a vegetarian, vegan, gluten-free and low-carb pleasant eggplant recipe.
- Preheat oven to 190°C (375°F).
- Sprinkle the eggplant items with a little bit little bit of salt. Depart for five minutes to attract out a few of the moisture. Use a kitchen roll or kitchen towel to pat dry the flesh facet.
- Brush the eggplants with olive or coconut oil and roast on a flat baking tray for 20 minutes. Flip them over and roast for an extra 10 minutes.
- Within the meantime, sauté the onions in olive oil over medium warmth for 7-10 minutes, till smooth and translucent.
- Add garlic and stir for a minute. Add tomato paste, chilli and water. Stir and cook dinner for 8-10 minutes till thickened. Flip the warmth off, add the miso paste and stir till effectively included into the sauce. You need to use a fork, a whisk or a potato masher to assist dissolve the miso into the sauce.
- Spoon the sauce over roasted eggplant and garnish with chopped spring onion.
As an alternative of roasting the eggplant, you’ll be able to slice it into thinner circles or strips and pan-fry them in a little bit oil till golden brown.
The sauce might be made forward of time.
- Serving Measurement: 2 items of eggplant with the sauce
- Energy: 231
- Sugar: 11.5 g
- Sodium: 300.7 mg
- Fats: 16.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 21.6 g
- Fiber: 9.2 g
- Protein: 3.8 g
- Ldl cholesterol: 0 mg
Key phrases: Eggplant, Aubergine, Miso, Tomatoes, Aspect, Vegan, Vegetarian