Table of Contents
This post may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Spinach squares are a tasty keto appetizer bursting with bold flavor. Packed full of spinach and Cheddar, they’re easy to make ahead for any get together. Less than 3g net carbs per serving!
I love when a recipe takes me by surprise and turns out better than I dared to hope. And these cheesy spinach squares really did surprise me with their deliciousness.
It’s not that I thought they wouldn’t be good. Just a quick peek at the ingredients indicates that they will be tasty. But I liked them so much, I found myself looking forward to them as a post workout snack every day.
And I was sad when they were all gone. So I immediately whipped up another batch, which was just as good as the first. No surprise there!
Can’t get enough cheesy finger foods? Don’t miss keto chicken fritters and keto corndog bites!
Retro appetizer recipe
Have you ever heard of spinach squares? I hadn’t until recently but they seem to be one of those retro recipes that’s making a comeback.
You know what I mean, one of those recipes that comes from some 1950s women’s magazines. The sort of thing one might serve to the husband’s boss when he comes to dinner.
As with many older recipes, they don’t look all that impressive. But then you taste one and you realize that looks aren’t everything. Because oh my, do they ever taste good! More, more, give me more!
The original spinach squares take flour, but I used coconut flour to make them keto-friendly. I had to add more eggs, and then I tossed in some cooked bacon too. Because bacon makes everything better!
- Frozen spinach
- Coconut flour
- Baking powder
- Salt and pepper
- Cheddar cheese
- Whipping cream
- Bacon (optional)
How to make cheesy spinach squares
This keto appetizer recipe is so easy and so flavorful, you’ll want to make again and again! Here are my best tips for getting it right:
- Thaw and squeeze the spinach: Frozen spinach can add a lot of excess moisture and make the spinach squares soggy. Make sure you really squeeze it out properly.
- Grate the cheese: I really like the flavor of sharp white cheddar in these squares, but you can use milder cheese if you prefer.
- Whisk the dry ingredients: A little coconut flour helps bind the spinach squares, and a touch of baking powder helps them rise just a bit. You want them to be fairly dense.
- Stir in the wet ingredients: The batter should be thick but still spreadable.
- Add bacon: It’s optional but it makes the squares that much more visually appealing.
- Bake until firm: The edges should be golden brown and the top shouldn’t feel wet at all.
- Let cool completely: The bars will be much easier to cut when cool.
- Serve warm or room temperature: They are meant to be finger food so you don’t need a fork!
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes but you will need to use a full cup of it. And then you need to reduce the eggs to two (possibly three if the batter is dry). Without having tried it myself, I can’t be sure of the baking time so keep your eye on it.
Sure! You do need a cheese that grates properly for the right consistency, but any semi-hard cheese should do.
You can make keto spinach squares several days in advance and store them in a covered container in the fridge. They should also be good in the freezer for up to a month. Wrap them tightly to avoid freezer burn.
No, it’s completely optional. Tasty, though!
More delicious spinach recipes
Keto Spinach Squares Recipe
Servings: 8 servings
- 10 oz frozen spinach thawed
- ⅓ cup coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 6 ounces cheddar, grated
- 4 large eggs
- ¼ cup butter melted
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 4 slices bacon cooked crisp and chopped
Preheat the oven to 350F and grease an 8×8 inch metal baking pan. Drain the spinach and squeeze out the excess moisture.
In a large bowl, whisk together the coconut flour, baking powder, salt, and pepper.
Stir in the grated cheddar, then add the eggs, butter, whipping cream, and garlic, and stir until well combined.
Add the spinach and half of the chopped bacon, and mix until well distributed. Spread the batter in the prepared pan and sprinkle the top with the remaining bacon.
Bake 30 to 35 minutes until the edges are golden brown and the top is set. Remove and let cool completely before cutting into 16 squares.
Keto Spinach Squares Recipe
Amount Per Serving (2 pieces)
Calories from Fat 186
% Daily Value*
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.