Creamy Skillet Chicken Cacciatore has the most amazing creamy red sauce with peppers, mushrooms, and fresh basil. The chicken is tender and juicy and on the dinner table in 30 minutes!
Warm your home with this flavorful dish that brings out all the feel goods. The wonderful smell will draw everyone to the kitchen within minutes. Unstuffed Pepper Skillet, Italian Orzo and Sausage Skillet or Cajun Shrimp and Sausage Vegetable Skillet are a few one skillet meals for you to enjoy!
Creamy Skillet Chicken Cacciatore
I realized that it is getting pretty close to the babies arrival so we have been going full force trying to get everything ready to go. We have been finishing our basement which has been quite the project. We are only about 3 weeks away from having it completed and I can’t wait to have a fun space for the family once baby arrives.
Right now we have both of our girls bedrooms next to each other but one of the rooms is used as a playroom. All of this will move to a playroom that we made in the basement and we will be able to put the babies room together. We are cutting it really close but that seems how life is! I ordered the babies furniture finally and I am starting to envision this sweet little girl that will be coming to our home. It is starting to feel more real!
We have been so busy with our basement and life in general that I love when I can make a delicious and easy recipe for the family. Chicken Cacciatore is one of my favorites. It is such a classic recipe with its red sauce with mushrooms, basil, and served over hot pasta. I customized the sauce to our families taste… bring on the creaminess, and it was a huge success!
How Do You Make Creamy Skillet Chicken Cacciatore?
- Season the chicken with Italian seasoning and salt and pepper. In a large skillet add 1 tablespoon olive oil and heat to medium high.
- Cook the chicken about 3 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 165 degrees and brown on each side. Set aside the chicken on the plate.
- Add one tablespoon olive oil to the skillet and add the garlic, bell pepper, and mushrooms. Sauté until tender.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, heavy cream, chicken broth, Italian seasoning, and salt and pepper to taste. Let simmer until thickened.
- Add the chicken back to the skillet until heated through. Serve over hot pasta and garnish with fresh chopped basil and parmesan cheese if desired.
What Does Cacciatore mean?
Cacciatore means “hunter” in Italian. In cuisine, alla cacciatora refers to a meal prepared “hunter-style” with onions, herbs, usually tomatoes, often bell peppers, and sometimes wine. Cacciatore is popularly made with braised chicken or rabbit.
You might be getting some quick and easy meals from here on out from the preggo Recipe Critic. But I still enjoy cooking for my family. But thats the thing! You don’t have to make it difficult to give your family a restaurant quality meal. And this meal is made in just one pot and on the dinner table in just 30 minutes!
Can You Make Chicken Cacciatore in a Slow Cooker?
Yes! This is a great slow cooker meal!
- Lightly brown the chicken in a skillet. Add the chicken to the slow cooker. Add the Italian Seasoning on top of the chicken.
- Continue to sauté the following ingredients for the sauce.
- Once cooked, you will add the sauce to the slow cooker on top of the chicken.
- Cook on low 4 to 6 hours until the chicken has reached 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
Can You Make Chicken Cacciatore Ahead of Time?
Yes! This is a great recipe that can be made ahead of time. It reheats well too!
What is the Best Way to Reheat Chicken Cacciatore?
- Microwave: Place leftovers in a microwave safe container. Heating 1 minute at a time.
- Oven: Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Place leftovers in an oven safe baking dish. Cover with foil and bake 15 to 20 minutes until warm.
- Stove top: Place leftovers in a cooking pan and cover with lid. Cook over medium heat until warm. Stirring occasionally.
Does Chicken Cacciatore Freeze Well?
Yes! Although, I recommend making this dish fresh and reheating within the week for best results. This does make a great freezer meal too. Using an airtight container to store it or a freezer safe bag works best when freezing. When ready to reheat the Chicken Cacciatore, thaw the freezer package, then chose a reheating method from above.
What Goes Well With Creamy Skillet Chicken Cacciatore?
Semolina pasta, gnocchi, rice or egg noodles are great! Large cut, lightly seasoned roasted potatoes to decorate the dish look professional. A side of spinach or broccoli quickly sautéed in a bit of olive oil, butter and garlic can add some variety too!
Not only is this red sauce perfectly creamy, it has tender peppers, fresh basil, mushrooms and the perfect blend of spices. Add some tender and juicy pan fried chicken and serve it over some pasta and you have the perfect meal.
You guys are going to love this quick and easy skillet meal!